Life Cykel Oyster Mushroom Grow Kit

Just add water and grow mulitple harvests of your own mushrooms in your kitchen with Life Cykel's 100% Australian Oyster Mushroom Grow Kit.

Your Grow Kit typically has a shelf life of 3 months and will enable you to grow multiple harvests over 10-16 weeks. Oyster mushrooms contain protein, iron, calcium, magnesium, selenium and vitamins B1, B2, B5, B6 and B7, and they're an excellent meat substitute too. 

    The best?  How Life Cykel do it: of all the coffee produced in the world, 1% ends up in your cup and the majority of the other 99% goes to landfill. In true circular economy style, Life Cykel collect waste coffee grounds from cafes to cultivate the soil to grow their mushroom farms, and the Grow Kits. They're waste-diverting-creationists and so much more - Life Cykel are brilliant.


    • Grown and produced by Life Cykel in Australia. Life Cykel are tackling the waste produced by our coffee addictions by creating coffee waste mushroom farms in every Australian city. They have a method for growing fresher gourmet mushrooms and they do this by collecting coffee waste from cafes nationwide. They built Australia’s first coffee waste mushroom farm in Fremantle, Western Australia and within half a year were growing 60 kg of fresh mushrooms and 200 mushroom boxes per week.

    • The box weighs 1.6kg and is 12 x 14 x 22 cm. It typically has a shelf life of 3 months and will enable you to grow multiple harvests over 10-16 weeks, with no gardening skills required. Each crop varies in size but you can expect to grow at least 2 crops from one box. Life Cykel's growing record so far is 7 crops from one kit!

    • Your box will be fine if you need to leave it unattended for days or weeks. It has a shelf life of 3 months, and you can leave it unopened in a dark spot at room temperature (10-20C), and then continue as per the instructions in the box.

      Once the hole in the bag has been cut, you need to spray the front of the box once a day to stop the growing mix inside from drying out and to create the humidity that mushrooms love to grow in. Just spray the whole area where you have cut the hole, pulling back the flaps momentarily to make sure it all gets some water. Then allow the flaps to fall back into place as they will help to keep the humidity in. Humidity and moisture is key and you can increase this by by creating a 'humidity tent' if you wish, but as soon as your Mushrooms start to grow, they need oxygen so it’s important to remove the humidity tent when they've started.

      If you are going to be away and you've started growing your mushrooms, place your box in a naturally damp or humid spot whilst you’re gone. This could be next to your sink and away from heat sources for example. You could also place the box on a little stand in a tray of water and as the water evaporates it will keep the environment around the kit humid. When you return, just resume your daily water misting.

      The ideal temperature for quality mushrooms to form is between 18-24 degrees. Place your box in an indoor space that will get fresh air and a good amount of light, but not direct sunlight. Indirect sunlight will help the mushroom caps develop to their full potential. When they first start growing they will double in size each day, and then as soon as you notice your mushrooms aren’t doubling in size each day, you can pick the entire crop. A brown ring around the edge of the mushroom cap is an indicator that your mushrooms are ready to harvest.

      Patience is also key - each subsequent crop will take several weeks to begin growing, and again, regular moisture is needed. Each crop will vary in size but you can expect to grow at least 2 crops from one kit.

      If someone in your house has a mushroom allergy it's impotant to harvest your crop while the mushroom caps face downwards so no spores are released. Your mushrooms will also taste better and future harvests will be enhanced.

    • Oyster mushroom substrate has tonnes of nutrients so it's a valuable soil additive - add it straight to your or a friend's garden and watch it spread its love. Your box's cardboard can be recycled and Life Cykel have also partnered with Redcycle to recycle their plastic mushroom bags - find a drop off point here

    • This product ships directly from Life Wild. When in stock, we will have it on its way to you within 1 - 2 business days. If preordering and you'd like to know when to expect your bounty, please email us.

      Choose the ultimate in environmentally friendly packaging and your items will be packed in surplus boxes we've collected from local businesses, before they use more energy and resources by going to the recycling plant, or take up space in landfill.

      Or for something a little more beautiful, go for our post-consumer recycled box instead. It's your choice at checkout.


    Related Items